Sunday, July 13, 2014

Halfway Point= Heaps of Fun

I cannot believe my trip is already halfway over! This week flew by, and I was extremely busy. Let's recap:

As per usual, I tried an incredibly diverse amount of food. On Monday, I had spicy squid at a Korean restaurant. I really stepped out of my comfort zone Tuesday and tried Malaysian lamb at this Indian/ Malaysian restaurant, and it was delicious. Wednesday, I went to a cute little Japanese restaurant and got the most American item on the menu: chicken teriyaki. I also ate at local burger and Mexican restaurants, which were similar to back home. I figure I will only be here once, so I should try everything. Literally...everything. The prices here are much steeper, but you do not have to pay tip, so it balances out (sort of). The wording in Australia for food is incredbily unique! They call cookies biscuits, shrimp are called prawns, ketchup is tomato sauce, and chips are called crisps, just to name a few.


 -Roomie love.

I had quite a busy week at work. Counting Saturday, I worked around 60 hours. The week went by quickly, as I was always busy helping out the Staff 1 from Switzerland, Julien. I helped Julien with Fixed Assets, Accounts Receivable, and Prepayments. I typically do more of the setting up of various workpapers and referencing documents back and forth to show supporting evidence than actual testing and talking with the client, but I have done some of those things every day. Many interns think talking to the client is very intimidating, but most of the people that we work with are extremely nice and try to help us get the supporting documentation that is required. My supervisor/ senior, Phil, was nice enough to introduce me to the client and walk through the process of getting what we needed from the client. Phil has been such an asset to me here, as he has been a friend and mentor on top of being my supervisor. We worked until 10:30 on Thursday and took the train home together, and we really bonded on the way home. He even (jokingly) offered me a job here when I start full-time in a year, so that will be something to consider. Just kidding Mom (maybe...).

I also like working Saturdays more than I should. It's a really relaxed atmosphere, and I get to talk with everyone on the team, including managers and partners. Special shoutout to managers Lauren, Matt, and Jaya for being great and keeping the audit room fun!


-My view from the office Saturday

This weekend, we went to the Glenmore Lounge in Darling Harbour for food and drinks after work. This was my view:



After work Saturday, we met up with Casey's (another intern) work buddy Ollie and he took us for drinks and to an AFL game. The Syndey Swans played Carlton and won something like 120-51. AFL is so much fun to watch! They essentially picked the best rules from soccer and football and combined them to form an awesome sport. I honestly thought it was more entertaining than American football.


 -Grandstands built in 1910!


Today, we woke up early and met up with Carolyn, our EY friend from last weekend, and drove 2 hours up to Hunter Valley for wine tasting! We visited 7 different wineries. I'm not much of a wine person, but I know that I really like white wine now. The highlight of today was easily the Belgian chocolate and marshmallows I had! It was the best chocolate I've ever tasted.





That basically wraps up my week. I'm so excited to leave for Cairns for the Great Barrier Reef Friday afternoon! I'll be posting a blog all about that next week. Look for an update within 10 days or so, and it will probably be my last one.

Have a fantastic week!

No comments:

Post a Comment